- 1 cup fine bulgur (cracked wheat)
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free vegetable broth or water
- 2 tbsp. chopped walnuts
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- juice of one lemon
- salt, to taste
- 1 large or 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil (optional)
- Bring the vegetable broth to a boil and add the bulgur. Remove from the heat and cover. Let it stand about 20 minutes until wheat is tender and water is absorbed.
- Place the walnuts into the food processor and puree. And the basil, garlic, and half of the lemon juice, and process until a coarse paste is formed. Add salt to taste.
- Combine the bulgur with the pesto, tomatoes, and cucumber, and toss well. Season to taste with the remaining lemon juice and olive oil (if desired). Serve at room temperature or chilled, garnished with additional basil.
- This can very easily be made into a main dish salad by adding chickpeas or white beans to the bulgar. Serve with a green salad for a terrific light meal.