- 1 pound small zucchini or yellow squash or a combination, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (or 1 can, rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch long slices
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic or white wine vinegar, see notes
- Generous grating black pepper
- salt, to taste
- fresh herbs (such as mint, basil, or oregano) to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a non-metal container. Cover tightly and refrigerate for at least 6 hours (24 hours is optimal), stirring occasionally. Check the seasonings and add more salt and lemon juice or vinegar if you think it needs it. Serve sprinkled with additional fresh herbs.
Add some spice by skipping the herbs and adding cayenne pepper or your favorite hot sauce.