- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 can (10 oz.) diced tomatoes and mild green chilies
- 1/2 cup kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fat-free sour cream
- 1 tablespoon sliced green onions
1. In medium saucepan coated with olive oil cooking spray cook and stir onion and garlic over medium heat about 3 minutes or until tender.
2. Stir in chili powder. Cook and stir for 30 seconds. Add undrained tomatoes, beans and tomato sauce. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 3 to 5 minutes or until desired consistency. Ladle into bowl. Top with cheese (if desired), sour cream and onions.
3. Southwestern Turkey Chili: Prepare chili as above, except cook 2 ounces extra lean ground turkey along with the onion and garlic about 3 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink. Drain off any fat. Continue with recipe as directed in step 2 above, except decrease kidney beans to 1/4 cup.